Labels

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Google Docs

Google Docs is similar to Microsoft Word.  Google Docs allows you to not only take notes, but write down anything you would like.  After learning about Google Docs, I could see myself using it instead of Word.  I like how you do not have to constantly save your work.  I also like how it is on Google Drive, and I can access it anywhere I am as long as I have internet.  I do not have to constantly email it to myself.  Like Word, I am able to insert pictures, graphs, and links into my Google Docs.  It has most of the same features as Word.  These are some of Doc's strengths.  The only weaknesses Docs has in my mind is that it is so similar to Word, that some people might just continue to use Word.  That being said, I still think I would switch over to Docs simply for the fact my work is saved on Google Drive and I can access it easier than something in Microsoft Word.

Google Docs also allows you to share your documents with others.  This allows that person to edit and collaborate on your work.  After collaborating my Doc, it was interesting to see someone else's perspective.  This could be useful for students when writing a paper.  They could share it with their classmate or teacher to make sure they are on the right track before they turn it in.  This is something Microsoft Word is not capable of.

Google Docs is tied into CCSS in different ways.  Our Google Apps book talks about a student could be asked to read a book and do a report on it.  They then can take that information and present it using a brochure they made in Docs (Graham, pg. 42.)  This relates to the Language Arts standards and shows students can read and build upon what they read.  They can also retell a story they read using different things.  Google Docs has many great aspects I can use as a teacher but also in my classroom with my students.

1 comment: