Labels

Monday, June 13, 2016

Dictionary App

I actually have used this app in the past and already had it downloaded on my iPad.  I have used it in my past classes for reading assignments to look up words I did not understand, and I used the thesaurus part when writing papers.  This shows this is an app for all ages and one I will always have on my iPad. 

One of the aspects of the app I think is handy is when searching for a word.  If a student did not know how to spell a word, if they sounded it out and typed that, they could see a list of words similar to what they typed and find the word they are looking for.  This is extremely useful for students who are just beginning to expand their vocabulary.  Like the video explained, I do believe the app lacks in some areas.  Some words may not be found.  The app probably has to always update to incorporate new words.

There are many different ways I could use this app in the classroom.  I think the word of the day part of the app could be used in the classroom.  As a student, some of my teachers did word of the day and I always looked forward to seeing what the new word was.  I could incorporate different areas of study using the word of the day like having students write a sentence or short essay incorporating the word of the day in their journals.  Again, I believe this app is useful not only in the classroom, but for every day life.

1 comment: